Personal growth
Moderator(s): Michael Harvey
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Personal growth 0 M. Harvey So for this post, I am going to divert away from the usual clinical post and speak a little about personal growth and leadership and getting involved with something you care about. I believe it is important to extend yourself personally and professionally. Remember what you were able to accomplish in that didactic year of PA school. We spent hours of sitting in classrooms, hours studying and worked harder than we ever had in our lives. You showed yourself during that didactic year that you could learn more than you thought humanly possible and were probably amazed at your accomplishments. Those closest to you were super proud of what you did. So, I ask, what have you done sense you graduated? I know you all have learned your job, but have you challenged yourself to go beyond that? Imagine if you would work just 1/100th the effort you put forth during PA school and put that into learning something new. Maybe it is that you finally learning to use ultrasound. Maybe it is learning how to put on a certain type of cast. How about taking some time to learn how better to read an MRI. Maybe you have been putting off attending that PAOS Conference. All that is great and probably past due, but let's go a bit further. Are you aware of what is happening in your state, and the country when it comes to PA promotion, law and initiatives? If not, maybe this could be your focus over the next few months. Maybe you will find a passion that you didn’t even know you had. Maybe it is time to start being a preceptor for PA students or adjunct faculty at a program near you. If you don’t have that kind of time, think about an in-service for other PAs in the organization or the support staff. Maybe you see a need in your company for some PA leadership. Is your company utilizing PAs at the top of your license? Organizations are looking for leaders. We either take steps to become those leaders or someone else will be leading you. The choice is really yours, but every PA I have ever spoke to would rather report to another PA than an office manager. We all say we want to advance the profession but many of us sit in the stand and root against our opponent. Maybe we should be on the sidelines trying to get into the game and make a play. It doesn’t have to be the game winning play, just do your part. Pay attention to what the AAPA, NCCPA, and local PA organizations are doing. They are doing things that will positively or negatively affect your career, maybe we should be aware. The PAOS is always looking for those willing to get involved with the organization. Find something you are interested and start paying attention to those things. The law of proximity can be very powerful. Mike Harvey, PA-C, MBA North Central Regional Director
by M. Harvey
Monday, March 25, 2019